Request for Quotes
Construction of two Climate-Ready-Culverts in the Town of Jay, summer 2020
Objective: removal of existing undersized culverts and construction of two (2) engineered aluminum arch culverts – one on Potash Brook at Ausable Drive and one on Otis Brook at Jay Mountain Road. Work includes pre-cast or poured in place footers at appropriate elevations, and reconstruction of a natural streambed including grade controls.
Multiple partners are involved in the construction of the culverts all under the supervision of the US Fish & Wildlife Service. The Ausable River Association (AsRA) serves as project manager coordinating planning, construction, budgets, and overseeing permitting. The Town of Jay Highway Department will provide pre- and post-construction labor/assistance and some materials. Other key partners include The Nature Conservancy – Adirondack Chapter.
Prospective contractors shall have experience working with natural stream restoration - preferably projects overseen or designed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service and/or the Ausable River Association or similar. Work is scheduled for July and August of 2020.
Work required includes:
- Contractor will assist in pre-construction planning, working with AsRA and Town of Jay to prep both sites for construction and stage materials.
- Contractor will identify and order certain major materials (e.g. rebar, concrete, supplies for footer forms etc.) for construction and timely delivery working with AsRA and TNC on tax-exempt purchasing and billing.
- Contractor will supply labor, non-major materials, and equipment to assist in the following:
- Delivery and management of materials, including but not limited to aluminum arch, reinforcing steel, rock, and concrete
- Digging, stabilization, and management of construction pits to appropriate safety standards and removal of old pipe culverts
- Dewatering of site and appropriate silt, sediment, and water management per discussion with project manager
- Prep for and construction of concrete footers to ContechES/CBC specifications and to meet North Woods Engineering design elevations as provided by AsRA
- Construction of streambed and grade controls per US FWS and AsRA
- Assembly of aluminum arch per specifications of Contech ES
- Backfilling of culvert site per specifications of Contech ES
- Contractor will follow engineering plans and aluminum arch construction guidelines and requirements.
- Contractor will prioritize, to the degree possible, the safety and water quality of the stream, its bed, banks and adjacent habitat, and its aquatic wildlife, consulting with AsRA, US FWS, and permit authorities when necessary.
Full RFQ is available as a PDF on this page in the sidebar. Responses to this RFQ are due by close of business Wednesday May 27th.