Big Slide & The Brothers
Description: While this hike is beautiful year-round, plan to hike it during the fall as it is one of the best fall foliage hikes in the area. The trail up the Brothers offers numerous views of the Johns Brook Valley and Great Range. In autumn, the contrast between the maples and birches in the valley and the spruce-fir forest at high elevations is stunning during the vibrant fall colors .
If you don't wish to do the full loop up Big Slide, you can reach the First Brother 1.5 miles from the Garden Parking Area. If you do choose to do the entire loop, it is worth taking a side trip to Johns Brook Lodge on your way out. They have cold beverages and snacks for sale from May through October and occasionally have fresh homemade ice cream, as well.
- Summit Elevation: 4,240 feet
- Total Distance: 9.5 miles
- Maximum elevation gain/loss: 2,800 feet
- Trail difficulty: Difficult
- Parking coordinates: 44.189067, -73.815977
- Parking lot fee required year-round.
Photo: Brendan Wiltse