Description: Indian Head offers a spectacular view of Lower Ausable Lake and the Lower Great Range. The first 3.3 miles of the trail are along Lake Road that makes for fast walking on a gentle grade. The remaining 0.8 miles is along a trail located at the end of Lake Road and climbs 730 feet, making for a steep ascent up to Indian Head.
This hike is entirely on the private land of the Adirondack Mountain Reserve (AMR)/Ausable Club and requires a reservation to visit – please visit their website (hikeamr.org) to learn more about the AMR's restrictions and to make a reservation.
- Summit Elevation: 2,700 feet
- Total Distance: 8.2 miles
- Maximum elevation gain/loss: 1,430 feet
- Trail difficulty: Moderate
- Parking coordinates: 44.149725, -73.767958
- Free permit needed May 1 – October 31.
- Pets are not permitted on trail.
Photo: Eric Adsit