Description: At Rainbow Falls, Cascade Brook tumbles spectacularly for 150 feet over a rocky cliff shortly before entering the East Branch of the Ausable. Rainbow Falls gets its name from the rainbows that often appear in its mist. For those looking for a larger adventure, Rainbow Falls and Beaver Meadow Falls can be hiked in one longer day.
This hike is entirely on the private land of the Adirondack Mountain Reserve (AMR)/Ausable Club and requires a reservation to visit – please visit their website (hikeamr.org) to learn more about the AMR's restrictions and to make a reservation.
- Waterfall type: 150 ft free fall
- Total Distance: 9 miles
- Maximum elevation gain/loss: 1,080 ft
- Trail difficulty: Moderate
- Parking coordinates: 44.149725, -73.767958
- Free permit needed May 1 – October 31.
- Pets are not permitted on trail.
Photo: John DiGiacomo